Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's School Vacation Week

What to do in the winter, with no snow...

Today it was rollerblading. We've been doing this for a while, but haven't done it in a while. We really should do it more often. The kids love it, it is great exercise and not too expensive. Typically on Friday afternoons they have open skate from 4-6 (before all the teenagers come for their Friday night fun) for $5. per kid, which includes a piece of pizza, rentals (if you need them) and a drink. The best part of course, I'm free!!! No pizza or soda for me, but I splurge :)
The boys take after their dad and are naturals. They cruise along and I have to remind them not to be the one of kids that really bugs me, speeding in and out of less agile skaters, scaring them to death into a fall. Jacob reminds me of when Jeffrey started skating because they are so close to the ground, bent over giving it their all to get the speed of a 10 year old.And they're off!

They always have races by age group (which I think they need to modify). Joshua and Jacob are in the same age bracket. If you know anything about child development, there is a huge difference even physically between a 6 and 8 year old. Joshua typically does not race. He's like me. He doesn't want to do it if he thinks he can't win. It's a not want to fail thing, not a better than others thing. I always envy those kids who don't care about anyone else around and just go up there for the fun! Jacob did go, it was his first race ever. They split the group into two and Jacob one his heat!!!

Get ready, get set!
And he wins! Ya for Jacob!He was so excited because he one this one and then won the "Lucky Spot" ticket too. I bribed him into sharing one of the tickets with his brother in exchange for a lollipop. I spoke his language and he said yes. And if anyone wonders if the woman behind the camera skated, I did. When of course it was safe and less crowded...I have never fallen and probably wouldn't skate again if I did. They say the bigger they are the harder they fall. I do not want to learn from experience.

No comments: