Sunday, May 31, 2009

Oh me oh my!

Where to start??

Let's see, I'm not sure if it is a product of step-parent or older children/younger children. Jeffrey is a teenager. He wears his jeans half way down his butt-covered, most of the time-barely, by his t-shirt. Many teenagers do this, I am a teacher in a middle school, I see it. But not all teenagers do...and many of those that do, fit into a 'category'. I do not have any say really in what he wears as I am only his step-mother and he is here so infrequently...but if I did, he would not wear them that way.

The real point of this post however, is not really even Jeffrey, but the little mini me's that walk around here wanting to emulate him. It started off with just Joshua. He would want to wear jeans all the time because that's what Jeffrey does, even when it is 90. But then he started trying to tug his pants down below his waist, half way to his bum...I told him I would throw them away if they didn't fit him... and to get a belt.

Well today took the cake. Jacob was getting his shoes on to go outside sitting on the floor and I noticed his pants seemed baggie at his ankles. Normally his pants are just long enough, he always seems to be in the inbetween sizes. Then I noticed some white between his jeans and his black shirt. The little shit is at it. "Jacob, pull your pants up". "But Mom, my shirt is covering it". OMG, I don't give a crap. I immediately went to the computer and typed in 'What to do when your younger children want to dress like your older children?', No help.

I do not have anyone in the same boat as me, teenagers and younger children, but I would love to pick someone's brain about it. Really I am all set with the attitude that is is only clothes, because it is not. It is a lack of respect for establishment, of what is normal. I know that kids want to be individuals and push the limits to see where they are...but it is a little different when the little ones are copying the big ones. For them it is about wanting to be like the person. I don't want them to aspire to be like rebels. I also don't want them to be cookie cutter copies either. Bottom line...My kids won't be wearing their pants down their butts...in front of me...because let's be honest, that is all I have control over.

Ah, yah, yah!

1 comment:

Whiting Clan said...

how about letting him wear it "that" way but w/out underwear so he gets embarrassed??