Saturday, April 4, 2009

Let's see, where are we....

Crazy month to say the least. I would like to say we are out of the woods and all healthy. That would be mostly true. I have finally cleared everything. Just in time for Jacob to start some boogie nose crap. I can handle that though.


Jacob continues to have a hard time with his transition to the Kindercare in place of his beloved Kellie's. Kellie's son become ill at the same time we were all fighting the flu. He got a bacterial lung infection that they just couldn't control. He was medically fragile due to his multiple disabilities. He succumbed to his illness in late March. The boys enjoyed Drew. They got an experience that very few got. They unknowingly learned the lesson of accepting and interacting with people no matter of their appearance or limitations. When they 'read' picture books to him, they did not see that he could not see. When they put their four wheelers on his lap for him to play with they did not see that he could not. When they drew him pictures, they did so proudly. I see them interacting with classmates with disabilities the same way and it makes my heart smile (and my face too). As a teacher of disabled students, I see the struggle of inclusion in school and in the community. I am proud of them. Now if I can just get Jacob to 'overlook' nondisability traits, like being fat...Overheard when Jacob called a boy the wrong name, "Oh sorry, I have another boy in my class who is fat too"...can I please just cringe under the table.
This is also a very stressful time of the year at work. It is IEP writing time and I am tidying up the year long collection of work samples for Alternative Assessment. All of this combine gave me the last push I needed to plan a last minute trip to Florida. I have been swaying back and forth struggling between not wanting the little boys to miss a Disney experience and entertaining a 16 year old in a little kid world. We are going to compromise and save money. We are going to stay with my grandmother and go to three days of theme parks. We will go to Disney for the boys, Blizzard Beach (a water park) for Jeffrey and Sea World for us all. I am very excited for all of them (with the exception of wearing a bathing suit) but am worried about my camera. I am still having a hard time getting pictures of moving subjects. I never had this problem with my $200 camera. Now that I have upgraded to a Nikon P80 (which I read a lot of great reviews on) I am struggling.So much to do...so little time. That's what they say. It feels even tighter when you are a procrastinator, self-confessed. I have two IEP's to write for Monday and Tuesday and all I can think about it starting another 'project'. I want to take down the disgusting cheap wood cabinets to have Jim add trim to and paint white. Then of course I will need some color in the kitchen...It's called task avoidance folks, in its true sense!!! I'm in trouble.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm so jealous of your trip, mainly Blizzard Beach. I alwasy see it on the travel channel and tell Dustin that We WILL go there someday. :)

AS for your camera. Are you changing the setting when you are taking the pics of moving subjects? That way you won't get a blur. I'm not familia withthe Nikon, but on mine if you switch to AV mode it helps. Let me know and I will try to check on it for you. :)